Welcome to the SCCTC ServSafe® Course Site
ServSafe® Food Protection Manager Certification
The ServSafe® Food Protection Manager is the highest certification awarded by ServSafe®. The certificate is earned by passing the ServSafe® Manager Exam. The exam focuses on five aspects of food service that can affect the safety of food:
- Foodborne Microorganisms & Allergens
- Personal Hygiene
- Purchasing, Receiving and Storage
- Preparation, Cooking and Serving
- Facilities, Cleaning/Sanitizing and Pest Management
Who Needs a ServSafe® Manager Certificate?
The Pennsylvania Food Employee Certification Act, 3 Pa C.S.A. 6501 - 6510, as amended, requires one supervisory employee per food facility to become certified in food safety and sanitation by taking a nationally recognized food manager certification exam and obtaining a National Certificate of Completion (such as National Restaurant Association (ServSafe®) certification).
Be cautious you are taking a Manager Certification course and NOT a Food Handlers Course. A Manager Certification course will end with you taking a proctored exam, even if you take a computer based or home based course.
Types of food service establishments that need to comply with the Act include:
- All Retail Food Facilities making/selling potentially hazardous foods, with some exceptions.
- Restaurants (take-out or eat-in), fast foods to gourmet
- Deli's - make sandwiches, slice meats and cheeses, hot foods
- Snack bars - prepare hot and cold foods
- Prepare pierogies
- Belgium waffles with frozen dessert topping
- Stadiums, race tracks, parks
- Food vendors - hot dogs and other hot and cold foods
- Donut shops that prepare sandwiches, etc.
- Bars, clubs
- Recreational facilities
- Commissaries, caterers
- Retail Frozen Desserts manufacturers
- Retail bakeries manufacturing products which require refrigeration: cheesecakes, cream filled pies, cannoli, custard pies, meringue pies, etc.
- Fairs/carnivals Juice extract stand (lemonade and other fruits)
- Hot dogs and hamburgers
- Hand dipped ice cream
- Pizza prepared on site
- Fry, grill, cook, roast, steam any foods
- Prepare sandwiches, subs, salads
- Prepare fresh fruit cup